|1876-77 Australia v England Series|
|Dave Gregory||James Lillywhite|
|Charles Bannerman (209)
Nat Thomson (67)
|George Ulyett (139)|
Allen Hill (101)
|Tom Kendall (14)
Billy Midwinter (8)
|James Lillywhite (8)|
Alfred Shaw (8)
The 1877 Australia v England series was at the time considered to be another professional first-class cricket tour of colonial Australia, as other similar tours had occurred previously, but was retrospectively classified as the first ever Test cricket tour of Australia by the English cricket team.
A rival tour had been also organised by Fred Grace but was cancelled, enabling most of the best players of the Australian colonies to participate in the series against James Lillywhite's side. Fred Spofforth, widely regarded as the best Australian fast bowler, controversially withdrew from the first Test in protest over the omission of Billy Murdoch as wicket-keeper. Starting on 15 March 1877 the two sides played two Tests, and the series was drawn 1-1.
First Test: England v Australia (15–19 March 1877)
||&||104||Australia won by 45 runs |
15,16,17,19 March 1877
Second Test: England v Australia (31 March-4 April 1877)
||&||259||England won by 4 wickets |
31 March, 2,3,4 April 1877
|Most runs||Charles Bannerman||209|
|Most wickets||Tom Kendall||14|
|Most catches (excluding wicket keepers)||Tom Emmett||4|
|Highest individual innings||Charles Bannerman||165 (retired hurt)|
|Best innings bowling||Tom Kendall||7/55 (First Test, 2nd Innings)|
|Highest match total||Charles Bannerman||169 (First test)|
|Best match bowling||Tom Kendall /
|8 (Second Test)|
|Best Innings||England||261 (Second Test, 1st Innings)|
|Worst Innings||England||108 (First Test, 2nd Innings)|
|Tosses Won||Australia||2 (of 2)|
- Alfred Shaw bowled the first ball in Test cricket.
- Charles Bannerman faced the first ball in Test cricket.
- Charles Bannerman scored the first ever run in Test cricket.
- Charles Bannerman scored the first ever century in Test cricket.
- Charles Bannerman scored 69.6% of his team's match runs, still a world record.
- Allen Hill took the first wicket in Test cricket.
- Allen Hill took the first ever catch in Test cricket.
- Billy Midwinter took the first ever 5 wicket haul in Test cricket.
- Billy Midwinter became the first Australian to take a 5 wicket haul in Test cricket.
- Jack Blackham took the first ever catch by a wicket-keeper in Test cricket.
- Jack Blackham effected the first ever stumping in Test cricket.
- Alfred Shaw became the first Englishman to take a 5 wicket haul in Test cricket.
- Australia became the first team to win a Test match.
|Australia Non-Ashes Australia v England Test series England|
|1876–77 • 1878–79 • 1880 • 1881–82 • 1882 • 1945 • 1976–77 • 1979–80 • 1980 • 1988|