Australia won the Test series 2-0 with convincing wins in both matches.
- 1st Test (Brisbane) – Australia won by innings and 156 runs
- 2nd Test (Adelaide) – Australia won by 213 runs
Glenn McGrath was named man of the series after hitting his first half century in the First Test and took 9 wickets over the two matches.
One Day Internationals
Australia and New Zealand played an ODI series which ended 1-1 with one game abandoned due to rain. This was the inaugural Chappell–Hadlee Trophy.
- 1st ODI (Melbourne) New Zealand won by 4 wickets. This was the first win by New Zealand against Australia in almost 3 years.
- 2nd ODI (Sydney) Australia won by 17 runs
- 3rd ODI (Brisbane) Match abandoned without ball being bowled due to heavy rain preventing the series decider from taking place.
For more information about the ODI competition, see : 2004–05 Chappell–Hadlee Trophy.
- Playfair Cricket Annual
- Wisden Cricketers Almanack